Sunday, June 24, 2007

Watch Out World...Here We Come!!

This weekend was fun-filled with an overload of extended family, tired children, and good gossip between the girl cousins. I'd like to say that the family reunion worked out to be anything but boring, but we have to count Friday...so boredom was among most of the participants. The weekend worked out to be quite fun...& I would never complain about seeing the family members I wished live close, but still live too far.

Thursday: Girls Night: Bunco!!

Pretty Carol put together a girls night for the "cool crowd" on Thursday night to get the reunion started. It was a lot of fun!! The #1 (best) table started with Richelle, The Carlys &

Raelynn team, Michelle and Me. Michelle was the only one that never left the top table!! Richelle and I (unfortunately) wandered between the #1 and #2 tables. The Carlys & Raelynn team held their own, but I lost track of where they ended up.

Richelle is still the very best bell ringer...& of course pretty!!
Friday: Boredom a-plenty: 1st official day of reunion.

For me Friday was a never-ending day with only one question: "Why did I take off work for this?" There wasn't much to do if you are me...I don't quilt, scrapbook, make kiddy-crafts, pine wood derby cars, etc. Other folks had a good time, but other than talking to Chelle & Robyn for a couple of hours, sneaking out to get a Pepsi, & seeing my nieces & nephews...the day was a (expensive) bust.

Do I even need to mention the "enchiladas?" Nope...didn't think so. I think that says it all. Next!

Two Words: Talent Show!!

Savannah rocks on the piano & like usual the Washburn's are the only family that all have real talent. I said "REAL" talent...which is why some of the other events will go unmentioned.

Friday night, however, was the best part of the reunion. No, no...not the talent show...the ice blocking!! We had so much fun ice blocking at Freestone Park in Gilbert!! I don't think I have had that much fun with the kids in memory!! Carsen and Brooklyn loved it the best. Billy & Derek seemed to enjoy themselves too. Emily had a fabulous time flying down the hill with her dad & she even let me take her a couple of times. Everyone (that actually came & participated) had a great time. And if we weren't exhausted before that event...we definitely pooped ourselves out!!

Saturday: Busy Boredom

Saturday started off great! All of the girl cousins took Mary school shopping before lunch. We all had a great time spoiling a girl that deserves a whole lotta spoiling!! Aside from some...well...let's just say "selfish" comments from one extended family member that did not participate in our shopping fun...the whole experience was awesome!! I think a little bit more time would have been helpful, but everything worked out great!!

The afternoon was fun for everyone that Regina didn't send on an errand to Costco for. After the pine-wood derby race, everyone played games...the animal game, the name game, do you like your neighbor, etc...By the time errand girl returned, game time was over and family picture time began. It was the quickest and best organized photo we have ever taken.

There will also be photos of me kicking Ryan's a$$ for the second time this weekend. Those will be posted as soon as we get them.

We had homemade ice cream (thanks Dad) for dessert and then Richelle and I took Derek to the Chandler Bike park for about an hour...until they closed. He seemed to enjoy himself and fits right in...even with the"big kids."

Sunday: Church or bust!!

The family church service turned out about how expected. My dad mumbled and talked quieter than ever before in his life. He talked about all the changes the family has gone through over the last 7 years...since the last reunion. There were A LOT of changes..a lot of marriages...a lot of babies...degrees...etc. It is interesting to see how every one's lives are evolving.

Another "speaker" made comments that at least 4 of us can't make sense of. To be honest...I don't get anything she says and or does. There was only 1 family that didn't participate or even show up to more than 1 event. Somethings are just not meant to be understood I guess.
Jason did the normal good job...since that is what he likes to do.

All in all the reunion was a success...I think. There are things that we will never again experience as a whole family. Every one's lives will keep moving forward and every one's family will keep growing. It's awesome to see how everyone has evolved into becoming mothers, fathers, doctors, CPA's, cops, teachers, some one's wife, or some one's husband. It's good to know that everyone has suffered through life's fun little trials and come out stronger & better on the other side.

No comments: