Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Windy City

Since I traveled to Chicago in March, I have been dying to go back! Rob & I had been wanting to see a ball game at Wrigley Field, so off we went to see the big city & a ball game. We stayed at a beautiful hotel with a room that overlooked the river. It was a view I would never get sick of.

The city is so incredible & we had the best time! We shopped on the mile. I found a couple fun sundresses at the gap and Rob bought me some new flip flops to match. We ran into a yummi Italian bakery with homemade Italian desserts and in the back they even made pizza. (& we all know how much I like pizza!)

We also went to millennium park. In March we passed the big "bean" several times, but didn't get a chance to get out and see what it was. It's just a giant bean shaped sculpture that is reflective. If you look just right, you can see the Chicago skyline...it's awesome! We also found a hungry homeless guy that kept saying "I'm hungry!" as he waded bare foot in the fountain collecting other people's wishes. We laughed SO hard!!

Before we left, we took a river tour. Chicago is built around the Chicago River. It's awesome to see such tall buildings on each side. They have 100's of bridges the raise and lower to let the bigger boats through. The guide on the boat taught us everything he could and pointed out all the neat buildings. We saw the Sears Tower, the Opera Hall, the new Trump Tower (the best building in Chicago of course...probably the whole world if you ask him), the Tribune building and several others.

The tour also took us into the Lake through the "lock" system. I have always been interested to see how it works. Now I have seen it and heard an explanation...and I think I have more questions than before. The lake is gigantic and we stayed near the shore. There is a working light house too.
We also went to Navy Pier. This pier was used in WWI and WWII. It is now more of a tourist attraction. There are great restaurants, fun shops, and fireworks every night during the summer. There are also some rides, but we didn't do any of that.

All in all it was a fantastic trip. We packed a ton of great activities into 4 days. We ate so much good food and walked a ton!! I love Chicago. It's such a great city and there is so much to do there!

No comments: