Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mike's Birthday Week!!

We have made it a habit to be out of town (or country) for Mike's birthday week every year. Two years ago we spent the week in Cancun...last year in Cozumel...this year we stayed close to home and for a much shorter trip.


We talked about a trip to Costa Rica, or going back to Hawaii...we looked into a few cruises, but ultimately decided since we are buying a (third) house we should probably not spend the money on a 10 day trip. We were both sad, but are more excited about getting our new house...so instead we took a quick trip to Las Vegas!!

Mike has only been there one time (what!?), and I haven't been there in a long time...I thought it would be a fun place to do exactly what Mike wanted- to lay by the pool & do nothing!! That's exactly what we did...sort of.

I booked us a room at Mandalay Bay and early Wednesday morning we headed outa town. We had nice drive and enjoyed each other's company. When we got there, we checked in and quickly changed into our bathing suits. We grabbed a quick lunch at a deli in the hotel and headed out to the lazy river. We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing pool side.

After the sun went down, e cleaned up for dinner and started walking. We ended up at the Monte Carlo's buffet...it was pretty dang good for a buffet!! They had a pasta bar (my fav) and Mike got prime rib...for his first plate. I had bow tie pasta with broccoli, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and a mixture of Alfredo & marinara sauce. Yum!! The dessert section of the buffet was lacking in my opinion, but Mike found the soft-serve ice cream machine, so he was happy.

We walked to New York, New York and went to the piano bar they have there. We enjoyed the music and watching the drunkest man we have seen standing as he danced with less rhythm than I have. Wow, was he wasted...but fun to watch!!

After we grew tired of the bar scene (which doesn't take us too long), we headed back to our hotel for the night...

On Thursday, Mike woke up 36 years old (& still as hot as ever!!). He went down to try and get us a cabana by the pool. I should have called and reserved one weeks ago, but didn't think they would be sold out on a Thursday; I was wrong.

Luckily, Mike was able to get us a reservation because someone canceled!! We ended up with a "Gazebo" which is "lesser" than a "Cabana", but it was perfect for what we needed. The Gazebo's are also cheaper...so it was even better. The Gazebo comes with the padded lounge chairs, a waiter, water...and inside the Gazebo there is a big flat screen TV, a ceiling fan, a table & chairs, etc. I guess in a Cabana there is also a safe, but we never strayed too far from our chairs, so we were pleased with the Gazebo.

We lounged ALL day and loved every second of it. I read a book and a half...Mike napped...we swam, ate, people watched, and just enjoyed the music and the ability to do nothing. We both got a nice tan, but mine will be gone before I can show you...gotta love being this white. :)


At the end of the day, we got cleaned up and headed to dinner. Mike chose a restaurant at Mandalay called Strip Steak. It was fantastic food!! Mike got a steak (don't remember which one now) and I got salmon (shocking I know). We also ordered a chilled lobster appetizer that was delicious...and they brought potato bread and "duck fat fries."

We aren't sure what those are, because they look just like french fries and they tasted like french fries.... We are assuming they fry them in duck fat?? But we honestly don't know. They brought three flavors, each with it's own dipping sauce. One with BBQ sauce, one with a yummy sauce that looked like tarter sauce, but it wasn't and one with ketchup. The fries with the ketchup were made with herbs...and they were SO good with the ketchup. However, the unknown white sauce was the best.

After dinner we took a $15 cab ride to the Bellagio. We picked up our tickets to "O" and then walked through the hotel. I lost $20 at a slot machine and then was irritated so we went to smell the flowers.

At 10:30 the show started...it was amazing. I was excited for Mike to see a Cirque show...and was praying he would love it as much as I do. Neither of us had seen "O", but the reviews were all right!! It was fantastic...simply incredible. I can't wait to see the others, now that I know Mike likes that type of entertainment!! The tickets were definitely worth the money and we both think everyone should go see "O".


After the show, we took another expensive cab ride (it's like a mile or two...???) back to Mandalay and headed back to our room for the night...

On Friday, we slept in a bit...then packed & got ready to head home...but we had to make a quick stop at....yep- the Coach Factory Store!! (okay- I don't buy a new purse EVERY time...usually.) I was actually wanting to return a purse & a wristlet I bought with my sisters last month in California.

I ended up exchanging those two (plus I added $13) for a diaper bag!! OMG it is soooo cute!! Even Mike liked it!! I would take a picture, but it's wrapped up & I am leaving it that way until I need it (keep your fingers crossed it will be sooner than later).

As we were walking back to the car, we passed the Gymboree outlet!! Mike said I could go in and "look" for a few minutes. They had all of the swimwear for $9.99...so while I looked at that rack, Mike found the girls clearance section. They had two of my favorite lines for 60% off!! One is purple and white flowers...and one is ice cream cones with pink, green & brown. They are both SO cute!!

We bought an outfit for Molly & I bought a few things (ok...I bought A LOT!!) because they were so cheap!! Walmart clothes (that are crappy) are more expensive... I bought mostly girl clothes (sorry babe), but we did buy a few boy items too (just in case). I bought mostly older sizes too (this time)...because at some point during the year (hot or cold) our child will be a 2T, 3T, etc...

I did buy two or three swimsuits, because we are (hoping to) buying a house with a heated pool...so our child will need a swimsuit year round...and they are too cute!! I love tiny swim suits!!

Luckily they have a good return policy...just in case. :)

After our shopping trip, we headed home.

To complete Mike's 36th birthday celebration, on Saturday night we planned a dinner with Mike's parents and Patrick, Sarah & Molly at a new steak house Mike really likes. It's called Longhorn Steakhouse...there is one a few miles from our house.

Mike thought I had invited my parents, so Saturday morning I called and they accepted the invitation. Mike's parents also brought Kelly & Mark with them, so we ended up having a big group & a great dinner party!!

After dinner, everyone came to the house for homemade Sprinkles cup cakes (thanks Carol!!) and ice cream...it was fun to have everyone over. This was the first time Mike's family has been over to the house, so it was nice to be able to show them where we've been calling home.

After everyone left, we curled up in bed and watched Night at the Museum. I had never seen it and the sequel came out on Friday...we want to go see it this weekend some time. We were exhausted after that...and Mike had to be at work at 5am SUnday morning...so we called it a night. The movie was really cute. I can't believe I had never seen it before.

Even though we didn't make it to Costa Rica this year, or anywhere for 10 days...we made Mike's birthday week pretty dang good. He said he was happy with how it turned out. And that's good enough for me... :)

**We plan to visit Mandalay Bay again soon...and want to take some friends along for a fun couple of days. So if anyone is looking to get out of town and lay by the pool...and possibly catch a Cirque show...let us know!!

2 comments:

E said...

Sounds like a great way to celebrate.
Glad you guys had un.

Anonymous said...

I saw "Mystere" a few years ago and loved it, I really want to go back and see "O"! Glad you had a fun, worry-free time, relaxing time!!