We met at my Dad's house to head north at 10am...Dad, Mom, Robyn, Sydney, Richelle, Raelynn, Mike and I ALL loaded into Richelle's suburban for a 2 hour (or so we thought) drive to NAU.
With the traffic issues involved with widening I-17 (10 years too late), we decided we should find an alternate route. My Dad wasn't feeling 100%, so with Carlys behind the wheel off we went for an adventure...complete with a little laughter, some junk food and a few growls from the grumpy front seat passenger.
Our alternate route was a new experience for most of us in the vehicle; SR 101 to 75th Avenue...75th Avenue north to Deer Valley...Deer Valley west to Lake Pleasant Parkway...Lake Pleasant Parkway north to Carefree Highway...at Carefree Highway we made a quick left turn and then a quick right turn on to New River Road. (This is the new part)...New River Road took us north (mostly) and we ended up at I-17...north of the traffic jam. It was smooth sailing after that.
We pulled into the Sky Dome parking lot (with our sick/grumpy passenger & Raelynn who can't walk a kabillion miles) and parked a few feet from the entrance (I highly recommend this type of parking situation over being transported via shuttle...those lines looked VERY long!!)
After finding where I needed to be, Robyn helped me get my cap on and sent me on my way to sit with the undergrads for the College of Education. The time finally came for the ceremony to start and all the graduated filed onto into the stadium and found our seats. A few people spoke (not nearly as bad as normal) and then it was time for the processional.

I looked up to where my family was sitting and spotted my dad...it seemed to calm my nerves knowing he was watching me. I have to admit, I was very happy to have made him proud. I know he was proud when I graduated from the police academy, but this was different.
{Robyn graduated from University of Phoenix & Keller University, Regina from BYU & ASU, Richelle from NAU twice, Ryan from BYU & USC (next weekend), and finally I join the list of college grads with my graduation from NAU. What's next for me..?? Hopefully a family. As far as my education goes, as soon as I find a program I am interested in I will enroll.}
After the ceremony, we took a few pictures and then packed ourselves back into the suburban for the ride back down the hill. We had SO much fun all stuffed in that car!! Mike drove, which was a relief for him in many ways....mainly because he was not in the middle of the sister's laughter and Richelle & Robyn's high pitched screams of joy...that only come out when we are really having a good time. My dad got the front passenger seat...he was already in too much physical pain to ask him to endure any further pain by sitting anywhere he would be squished, spilled on, screamed at, etc...
3 seat belts does NOT = 3 comfortable seats.
We made it safely back to my parent's house and we had a quick dinner before the party started. Just like my sister's always do, they of course had every detail covered and then some. They chose a color scheme of red, pink & white. I heard a noisy machine running on the patio, so I walked outside and saw my dad making pink cotton candy!! It's a family favorite...and fresh, warm cotton candy is the best!!
My sister's were finally able to get their candy table...and it was dang cute. And of course Carlys made me my own special cake in the shape of a graduation cap...and she of course made my favorite flavor- red velvet. Yum!!
The last time I was in St. Thomas, I purchased 1/2 carat diamond earrings for Richelle. She was turning 30 & that's what she wanted from Anthony. I got to wear them home, and since then I have been patiently waiting for my 30th birthday. Robyn, Regina & Richelle all have diamond earring and I believe they all got them for their 30th birthdays...then Sydney got some for Christmas & Wendy has some too.
Since I was single at the time, I pledged to myself that I would go back to St. Thomas and buy my own if that's what it took. I was perfectly happy taking care of myself, so I can buy my own earrings, right??
My degree took a little longer than I originally planned, but schedule changes at work postponed classes...so my diamond earring desire turned into an either/or situation. I was still single and told myself whatever came first- turning 30 or graduating from college- would be reason enough to purchase myself those earrings. I still wanted to travel back to St. Thomas (I've been there 3 or 4 times...why not go back?) to purchase my earrings.
Then I met & married Mike. Since we share money, I thought I should mention my earring purchase plan...and give him ample opportunity to want to make the purchase. :) We are trying to buy a house and have a baby, so over the last few months my diamond earring dream has somewhat gone away. There are more important things than diamond earrings...plus I don't turn 30 for nearly a year...so there was still time. :)
I'm not sure there is a word that can describe the joy I felt last night when I opened that little jewelry box...that contained the most beautiful diamond earrings I have ever seen. My entire family went in together with Mike in order to make my dream a reality. They seriously went above and beyond and purchased earrings that far exceeded the size and quality I would have traveled to St. Thomas for. They are simply perfection.
By the time Mike & I got home, the day had lasted longer than we want to remember. I am so pleased to call myself a college graduate and I am very proud that I have kept my promise to my mother to finish school. Before she died (when I was 15), I made her that promise. I wish I could turn back the clock and finish several years prior, but since I can't luckily this still completes my promise.
Did I mention that I have the best family ever!? They are always there...without question. There is never anything more important than each other...never anything not worth sacrificing for. It's amazing to have such a great family!! I am so blessed.
8 comments:
congrats on graduating from College! I know it's a lot of work and time, but you did it!! YEAH!!
Congratulations Randi!! What a way to spend your graduation day!!
Congratulations!! this is a HUGE accomplishment and i am so very very proud/jealous of you! you amaze me sista!!
ps - shouldn't rj be in that last family shot in his ugly outfit?! i never did get to see it dang it - pictures would be lovely for blackmail purposes :)
Sad we weren't there. Glad to finally see what I chipped in for. Richelle basically called and demanded money and Michelle was too afraid to say no - and she forgot what it was for - and she may have peed her pants just a little bit. (Richelle is scary when it comes to getting "donations" for the family gift, she should have asked for me money).
r
Yeah Randi! I'm so glad you graduated from college. That is a HUGE acomplishment and now you can breathe a little more since you don't have to do tons of homework for a while :)
I agree that your family is amazing! I hope you accomplish the rest of your goals!
Randi...what an amazing accomplishment. You SHOULD be proud of yourself, and I KNOW your mom is proud of ALL you do! Way to go :)
Congrats, Randi!! I am so proud of you for sticking to it! Love the Earrings!
Hugs! Sondra
Post a Comment