Monday, October 06, 2008

10 Years...and counting

Where did the last 10 years go?? Other than my knees hurting nearly everyday, my shoulder acting up if I sleep wrong, and my waist not quite a small...I still feel 18!! Ok...maybe 21..er...25?? Damn...I can't believe 10 years has flown by so quickly!! It's already been more than 9 years since I got married...and more than 8 since I planned a funeral. Can you believe it's been 6 years since I was preparing to start the police academy!! I moved to Chandler about 5 years ago and it's already been 3 years since I started dating Mike...

This weekend Mike & I attended my high school 10 year reunion at Aunt Chilada's. It started Friday night at the Homecoming football game, but both Mike & I had to work. Last night I had a lot more fun then I expected!! It was fun to see people I haven't seen since graduation and it was nice to catch up with old friends.

A lot of people looked exactly the same and then there were others that I didn't recognize...even with the name tag!! It was interesting to hear about every one's kids, husbands, marriages (old & new), and careers and/or dead-end jobs they've had for years. Kyle's sister Caniel was there too. We had a nice conversation, possibly the best we've ever had. It was nice to see how much she had changed for the better and how much maturity life can bring.

Too bad we can't be closer to 30 in high school...girls are so petty and stupid in high school. I wonder how different life would be if there wouldn't have been such a distinctive line in the sand between Caniel and I in high school?? Not that Kyle would still be here or anything crazy...I just wonder how much heart ache, how much name calling and finger pointing could have been saved if she hadn't hated my guts back then. I wonder if Kyle's parents would have loved me, instead of having whatever feelings they did have back then. Would it have been easier to accept me into their family if they hadn't heard some of the BS that they did...or if Kyle wouldn't have been constantly fighting with her to defend me.

I still wonder why she hated me so much...I'm still not sure what I did to her. Talking to her last night, she seemed so happy for me...she seemed genuinely interested to talk to me and find out how my life was...and of course I still wonder if all of that was genuine.

We sat and had dinner with my high school best friend Kim Gwaltney...I mean Miller. She looks amazing, has two gorgeous children...life seems to be great for her!! Hopefully we'll do better at keeping in touch!! It was nice to finally see her again and to meet her husband. He shares the same career Mike & I do...so it was nice for Mike to have someone to talk to- closer to his own age!! (oh! ...Love you babe!) Deron and Mike also share another common interest- FISHING.

All-in-all I am glad I decided to go. I think the 20 year reunion will be even better...everyone will be more established and further along in life. Of course I'll be nearing retirement (woo hoo!!), but since I haven't started my family yet...I guess that 20 year mark won't mean too much at that point....but I am pretty content with where I am in this life...I'm very satisfied with who I am and how I got here. I wouldn't change any of it!!

Thanks Mike for letting me drag you with me...without complaining!! It was nice to have the hottest man there on my arm!! I'm glad reunions are only once a decade!!

No comments: