Although almost my entire family knows and my entire squad of course knows (mainly because I have no other friends to tell), today I participated in the selection process for the Robbery Detail. I usually don't mention this kinda stuff until AFTER I know how I did...
The selection process started with a resume and then today there was an oral interview with seven (7) questions and one (1) practical portion. I think I did a pretty good job, but won't know the results for a day...or three.
Let me just be honest...I think I studied more for this test more than I studied my entire four (4) years of high school combined. By the time 10am rolled around, there was nothing else robbery related that could fit into my head. It was do or die time.


There are some things I wish I would have added here and there, but for the most part, I am satisfied with how I did. I'm nervous that they will think I sucked, but I guess that's another issue for another blog.
If I do well and move to the detail, I will switch from "Officer" to "Detective" and I will get a take home car!! I will also be working five 8-hour shifts a week...which will take some getting used to!! (that will be the WORST) part. I will also be working second shift, but I am not sure of the time yet. I will also be on stand-by and on call-out A LOT, but that means a bigger pay check to help fund my education...which is luckily nearing its end.
I am feeling some mixed emotions. I am ready for a change...and if I never train a rookie again...that would make my year!! But, I LOVE my squad, my boss and patrol in general. I will miss making traffic stops and riding around in my police car. I will be sad to hang up my uniform and go back to the life of wondering, "What the hell am I gonna wear today?!" But it will be fun to work with new people and to learn an entirely NEW side of police work...even if it has nothing to do with traffic collisions, DUI's or car seats.
If I do well and move to the detail, I will switch from "Officer" to "Detective" and I will get a take home car!! I will also be working five 8-hour shifts a week...which will take some getting used to!! (that will be the WORST) part. I will also be working second shift, but I am not sure of the time yet. I will also be on stand-by and on call-out A LOT, but that means a bigger pay check to help fund my education...which is luckily nearing its end.
I am feeling some mixed emotions. I am ready for a change...and if I never train a rookie again...that would make my year!! But, I LOVE my squad, my boss and patrol in general. I will miss making traffic stops and riding around in my police car. I will be sad to hang up my uniform and go back to the life of wondering, "What the hell am I gonna wear today?!" But it will be fun to work with new people and to learn an entirely NEW side of police work...even if it has nothing to do with traffic collisions, DUI's or car seats.

I did 5 1/2 years on the street...I have about 20-25 years left in my career...I'm not sure what will come next, but if Robbery is where I go next, I'm sure that's where I will stay for the next several years. It'll be a new side of police work...and it'll be putting real "bad guys" away for years and years. It will be both a change of pace and a learning experience for me.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that I did well...and that this change will also be the beginning of some other changes in my life that while scared to death, I am SO excited for.
When they asked the question, "What do you want to do when you grow up?" I never knew how scary, frustrating and exciting that question could be...even when you thought you knew the answer!!
1 comment:
Detective would be cool should that be what your heart wants.
Post a Comment