Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Quick Trip to the ER

**For the remainder of the Lake Powell Posts...I will have to refer to "My Mike" as "Buv" and "Shanna's Mike" as Mike...otherwise it gets too complicated.**

At 4am on Saturday the alarm went off. We jumped up, threw ourselves together and headed off to Lake Powell. The trip started off great...Mike & Shanna were the lead car; pulling one of the boats. We rode with Richelle, Anthony & their boys and pulled Buv's boat. The last car in the caravan was Robyn, Bill & their kid...they pulled the jet skis.

Just before we hit Flagstaff, the trailer Mike's truck was towing blew a tire...luckily we missed getting hit by any of the re-tread. The guys hopped out and quickly changed the tire. We then headed into Flag and to the discount Tire.


We were quickly on our way again. Just a few miles outside of Flagstaff, another tire blew on the same trailer. We were able to quickly change the second tire and get on the road again.

As we pulled into the Paige, AZ Walmart (to get Lake Powell fishing licenses), one of Mike's trailer tires rolled over a curb in the parking lot...and we heard a hissing sound. Well...Walmart doesn't stock trailer tires, so after Walmart, we headed to the Big O Tires in town. The replaced the flat tire, the spare tire and the other two (2) remaining tires...just to be safe!!


Once settled in on the house boat, Jake (who was sick to begin with) was noticeably getting sicker. We (Robyn, Richelle & I) decided that a quick trip to the Paige Urgent Care would be necessary. Richelle took Jake to the doctor on Thursday, just to make sure he didn't need a prescription for whatever he woke up with...her pediatrician spent about 3-5 minutes in the room and walked out saying that whatever was wrong with him was just a virus and there was nothing she could do. Once at the ER (Paige doesn't have an urgent care), we settled in for what we thought would be a couple hours...How many people could be at the Paige ER?? Well, there weren't too many people at the ER, but we were there for longer than two (2) hours. After the doctor came in and evaluated Jake and spoke with Richelle, she thought it would be safest to admit Jake.
Jake has asthma, although they won't actually call it asthma until he is three. He woke up this past Tuesday with some sort of issue...kind of like a cold, but not quite. The ER Doc gave Jake a breathing treatment (which Richelle also did as often as possible all day) and when his oxygen levels kept dropping to 87-88...the doctor admitted him. Before we went to the hospital, Jake had also started vomiting anything and everything...he couldn't even keep medicine down. The vomiting started because he coughs SO hard that it makes him vomit...and it also burst blood vessels in each eye...so both of his eyes are BLOOD shot red. The vomiting caused the dehydration...so they also had to place an IV in Jake's hand.

That must have been the WORST part of the night for me...(and for Jake). We had to wrap Jake up, like a mummy, with only his right arm out of the wrap. Richelle held him from his left side, another nurse held his feet...I held his legs. When they stuck him, OMG it was possibly the worst sound I have ever heard come from a child. He was so scared and confused and I'm sure it hurt like heck!! (of course I cried...more than his mother...but that sound...was AWFUL!!)


Robyn and I left Richelle and Jake after they were moved to a regular room and were settled in. I didn't want to leave, but I was going off of 5-6 hours of sleep over 3 days...and had been up nearly 24 hours...pretty soon I would need admitted.
Jake is fine...they released him before noon. We are still on the houseboat at Lake Powell, we are just still sitting in the slip at the marina. We are leaving the marina tomorrow to actually start our Lake Powell vacation!!


We still made the best of today. Buv fished several times...we went out on the jet skis...I took a nap after only getting 3-4 more hours of sleep...I did homework...it was all in all a relaxing day...no complaints...it's freakin' vacation!!

1 comment:

ClanRodgersAZ said...

If I had know that we would have had him stay here. That poor baby. There most be some other way to start a needle on a baby. I'm glad he is so much better. Harley note: She will probally pull a Lassie and run away and find her way back to our house. (We've been showing her different routes.)