I was sitting at work Saturday night, trying to finish up two (2) reports, when I heard some bothersome news...Steve Checketts died on Friday. I was shocked...I knew he had some heart problems a few months back, but I had heard he was doing much better. In fact, he retired in July. 35+ years on the job & dead after only a minimal amount of time after retirement. Steve worked his butt off...always working off duty...always helping out wherever he could...and for what..?? To leave his widow a sum of money..?? To spend a month or two (2) retired..??
For people like Steve and for people like me...we go to work each night with the knowledge we may not be coming home...it's never the first thought & maybe not the last, but we tuck it away somewhere & we go to work anyway....and we love every second of it..!! But when you do this job for 35+ years...20+ of it on a motor...and you get shot at a church function...I'm sure retirement seems inevitable.
I am one (1) of those people that believe "when it's your time to go, it's your time to go," but this just made me sad last night. What's the point of working all those hours...all those weekends...all that over time...all those late nights...all those long days in court..?? We all think we'll be here tomorrow & the next day & the next, but what if we aren't..??
In the long run...Is the money worth it..?? Is going on one (1) more trip, or having one (1) more new outfit, or eating out one (1) more time worth it..?? Shouldn't we be making an effort to do it today...to make the most of our time now..??
We should challenge ourselves to make the most of everyday...to stop putting things off until tomorrow...to get off the couch & make a difference...if for no one else than ourselves. Spend time with family...spend time with friends...take that trip...buy that outfit...go do & see the things that will make life complete...
Don't we owe that much to ourselves..?? To go & do & fulfill the list of "Things I want to do before I die..??"
No comments:
Post a Comment