Thursday, March 22, 2007

Guilty or Not Guilty

Everyone that knows me knows that I love my job...I love going to work everyday...I love taking dirt bags off the street...I love getting to get most of my frustrations out at work...I love that I get to see this world outside the bubble...& I have always loved going to court to see what happens after we are done with our part...

The "other" side...the legal/court/attorney side fascinates me...the jail side fascinates me too...but that part is so nasty that the court side is much more appealing...literally...

I have been the "case agent" on a case of mine that went to trial 10 days ago...I have been able to sit next to the county attorney throughout the entire trial...it's been great because this county attorney has been awesome & wants the defendant to go to jail as much as I do. He really believes in the case & has done a great job..!!

However...I have also been working my regular shift for most of the trial & the little to no sleep is starting to take a toll on my body & my brain. I also had the 3 boys during this thing...luckily over the weekend for most of it...

The basics of the case are this: a 16 year old girl told the 26 year old father of her child that she wanted to break up because he moved to Mexico & she was sick of not having him around. She told him she met someone new...& he couldn't see the baby anymore.

The next day the boyfriend showed up at her house...broke in with his cousin & beat her nearly to death...punched out her teeth with his gun...smacked her repeatedly in the head with his gun...punched her...kicked her...etc...then he made her clean it up with bleach...then she had to take a shower & do his laundry to get the blood out...) This guy needs to be somebody's bitch for awhile...the entire neighborhood was too afraid to tell us anything...

He attempted to duct tape her wrists, ankles, & mouth...so he could get her in the trunk & take her out to the desert. The 16 year old girl fought her way free & complied with his demands...so he wouldn't kill her. He wanted the baby...so they went to get the baby & she was held hostage by the boyfriend...everytime she went for the phone or the door...he grabbed the baby & threatened her that she would never see the baby again if she told...or got medical care...

We luckily found the house he was holding her & the baby at. When the cousin was taken into custody...the boyfriend fled out a 2nd story window...and the 16 year old went to the hospital...the baby was unharmed. When another officer got the cousins story & I got the victims story...we talked & realized they were the same. We thought the boyfriend was still in Mexico...& unfortunately he got away before we knew he was here...

After submitting our report...arresting 2 out of the 3 suspects (one lady was involved also), getting what evidence there was at 3 different crime scenes...the boyfriend was hunted down by some of our "people"...he's facing quite a bit of time for our charges...& I was able to get DNA from the 16 year old & her baby so he can be charged with sexual conduct with a minor (under the age of 15 is a higher felony...she was 14 at the time of conception...& he is facing possession of drugs for sale charges as well (that's why he was in Mexico...he was avoiding prosecution)...

The jury got the case this afternoon & will hopefully reach a verdict by the end of tomorrow...

No comments: