Anthony and I were out on a date. He actually took me to see a "Chick Flik". During the movie my cell phone rang and it showed our home phone number.
OK PANIC!!!
I left the theater and called home. Derek answered. He was sobbing hysterically. I couldn't even understand him. Fianlly, I realized that he was telling me that his pet fish Charger was dying.
Derek loves his pets and he has had this fish for more than 4 years. We also know that Derek is attached to certain things and has a VERY hard time with change. Anthony had to also leave the theater to talk to him and calm him down.
When we got home, both boys were sitting near the fish tank, where they had been for hours. We took photos. We cried, talked about the plan of salvation, the circle of life and the strength of families. Derek asked me to please say a prayer.
As Charger took his last few breaths Derek pleaded with him to not die. It was gut wrenching. He has such a soft heart. Carsen stood by his side and assured him that Charger was going to be with Heavenly Father and we would live with him again someday. (Later he said he wanted to stay up so he could watch how he went up to heaven.- there is your precious angel Randi)
After I tucked the boys into bed, I started on my nightly "gather and put away" routine. I could hear Carsen's sweet little voice saying a prayer for Derek, who was still teary eyed. He asked Heavenly Father to please make sure that Charger had enough food and is taken care of for Derek. He also asked that Heavenly Father would help Derek be brave and happy until he gets a new fish.
I LOVE the faith and innocence of children. I am thankful that we have had the faith to continue to torture ourselves each Sunday so that our children can understand the plan of salvation to help them make sense out of this hard life.
They are sent here to teach us (adults) so much. I know that's why Mom Dianne loved Kindergarten so much. Maybe she can use Charger as her classroom pet now.
These are the times that as a Mom are hard, but make all the rest worth it. I am SO blessed to have these three sweet boys.
Charger officially died on February 15, 2008 at 11:15 pm. Services will be held tomorrow. All who wish to join us in celebrating Charger's Life, please do so.
3 comments:
OH NO!! I can't believe it!! How sad...poor Derek!! I think he deserves that mini Beagle puppy now for sure!!
(I knew my sweet little Carsen wasn't 5 yet!! He's still that sweet little man that makes my heart sing)
We all know how fish get to heaven. But how do you get a fish that big down the toilet?
-Ryan
That is the sweetest story about Carsen's prayer. I'm so glad that you shared that with us.
-Michelle
aww....CARSEN!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the cutest little boy ever!
p.s. sorry about Derek's fish =(
Post a Comment