Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Day 3: Fishing

So...today we woke up & were ready to go at 0620 hours...yes...that is correct...6:20 AM!! Since I am not one for enjoying a sunrise or breakfast before 10 (or usually 11), 6:20 am is a tad bit early for my liking!!

I was, however, excited about the fishing trip & I knew that Mike has been looking forward to some sort of fishing while we were here. It's a lot easier to wake up (and pretend to be happy about actually being awake) when you know some else has been dreaming about this day since we made the reservations (& probably LONG before that).

We waited out in front of the hotel for the fishing company to pick us up...they were a few minutes late, but we were on our way by 6:30. After a quick 30 minute drive through several parts of town (now I know why Mexicans in Arizona drive SO poorly), we arrived at the boats.

I did learn something today: I learned that I understand a lot more Spanish than I thought & that I should always carry my current book, iPod, or Nintendo with me...even if it will get wet.

There were six (6) of us in the van & each boat was for two (2) people & one (1) guide. This trip that we scheduled was for fishing the "flats," not for "deep sea" fishing. We loaded ourselves onto a small wooden white & green (old & falling apart) boat and headed out. Carlos was our guide and he didn't speak English...more than a word or two (& those words involved the names of fish).

In Rocky Point, last November, we went on a deep sea fishing trip and I was sick the entire time. It really sucked, but it sucked for everyone on board. The boat was bad, the fishing was bad, the fumes from the exhaust were awful, etc... Let's just say I was hesitant to get back on a boat smaller the the "Caribbean Princess" after November's advenure.

I am SO glad I went this time! The smaller boat and shallow water made the experience a much better one! Carlos was great! He worked his butt off all day to find us several spots to catch fish. I caught a couple fish & Mike caught tons. I was done after my couple...which is why I wish I had brought my book....I think that was about hour number 3...

Mike refused...REFUSED...to book the four (4) hour trip...he insisted on the seven (7) hour trip. I said I would go...and wanted to fish, but seven (7) hours was a long time for me. The shorter trip would have been easier. But...Mike was happy ALL day & it was his fishing trip, so no complaints from me. I could do the seven (7) hour trip everyday this week with a book or my iPod. My brain just can't be idle for that many hours & as much as I enjoy a good fishing trip...well...you know :)

Carlos showed us some of the most beautiful spots I have ever seen. We saw sea turtles (way bigger than Hawaii) and sting ray...aside from the baracuda & other fish we caught.

The saying that I can understand Carlos say the best..."muchos grande baracuda!" He was great!

Tomorrow we have nothing planned...I can't wait to sit on the porch and read ALL day!! Thursday is the island trip & should be a great time too..!!

p.s. Maybe Carsen is just acting out because he misses me so much!? If Derek (your artist) would have done the tats...would it have been better? lol...miss you!!

No comments: