Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thursday: Xel-Ha & Tulum


I still have NO idea how to pronounce "Xel-ha," but no matter what the friggin' word is...we had a blast!! It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been & probably one of the most fun filled days I can remember!!

Xel-ha is a huge "natural" water park. It is built around a huge natural salt water "pool" & then sidewalks and restaurants were added to...well....ya know...make money. There are tons of activities to fill several days worth of a vacation, but we only got about 5 hours.

We snorkeled a bunch, we swam into natural caves, saw a lot of Mangrove monitors & iguanas (Kyle would have been so pleased), had lunch, and took a LONG hike around the entire park. There are SO many more things to do!! You can jump off the"Cliff of Courage," you can swing into the water from a rope swing, you can lay in hammocks, you can"snuba," you can eat (a lot), & there is a "lazy" river (that we heard wasn't so lazy). I'm sure I am leaving something out, but it's been a long hot day!! (www.xel-ha.com)

The water was so warm & so clear...the snorkeling was amazing!! This was Mike's first time snorkeling...and I think he enjoyed himself tons!! We saw some beautiful fish & some HUGE fish!! He was trying to swim after the schools of large...LARGE...fish to try and touch them. Um yeah...he's a freak!! HE did get to touch a fin...he called a "bitch slap"...but that's not exactly how it looked from next to him & the big fish!!



After our time was up at Xel-ha...we traveled to Tulum. Tulum is a part of the "Mayan World" and sits on the shores of the Caribbean waters. These Mayan ruins were a great part of history to learn about. They reminded me a lot of Pompei. It was awesome to see & our tour guide Raphael was from this part of Mexico.

I got a lot of pictures of Tulum, but Xel-ha was not as easy to capture with a camera...for obvious reasons.

I can't believe tomorrow is Friday already!! Mike is going fishing again...we were able to arrange another trip with Carlos...so it should be a great time!! I, on the other hand, will be spending my morning sleeping (with nobody to bug me), relaxing on the porch, & getting a massage....I can't wait!!

We have managed not to get sunburned yet & I hope (& pray) that Mike remains a freak about the sunscreen while he and Carlos look for tarpin & snook. Ok...I'm the pale, red-headed one that has been a freak about the sun screen...but I am hoping to have made a good impression on his sun screen lathering so we get to enjoy the last 2 days in the Caribbean sun :)