Friday, May 18, 2007

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

Mike spent his day fishing & learning about Carlos' life here in Mexico...he said he had a great time, but there are no digital pictures to upload & prove it. His photographer was basking in the sun back at he hotel....we'll have to wait until we get back to see a couple photos he did take with a throw-away camera we snagged at the farmacia the other night.

I went to get my massage...I was SO excited!! I arrived on time (5 minutes early to be exact) & waited there for 15 minutes, but nobody ever came. I went back to the room & made the best of my day...I ordered room service (including dessert), laid out on the porch, & read my book.

I was bored & ready to get out of the room & have some fun by the time Mike got back from his fishing trip, but I don't think he had the same thing in mind...so he slept & I kept reading.

Mike said he asked Carlos what in the hell "Xel-ha" means & how in the heck you say it...since Carlos only speak poqueño ingles & Mike speaks muy poqueño español (& I write even less spanish obviously)...I am sure their conversation was interesting...

Mike: "Hey Carlos! Como se di se...Xel-ha?" (mind you that Mike is making swimming/snorkeling hand signals and saying Xel-ha, but not really saying Xel-ha because we don't know how to say freakin Xel-ha)

Carlos: "¿Como?"

Mike: "Um...you know...Xel-ha?" (more swimming hand signals)

Carlos: "Ah! Xel-ha! Muy Bonita!"

After that...Carlos told Mike "Xel" is pronounced "Shell" (we think) and "ha" means water...so Mike thinks that Carlos said (we aren't sure...the ingles es no bueno) Xel-ha pretty much means shell or reef water...

¿Are there any Español habla(ers) that can confirm this translation?

Also...I just love this key board...I am ordering one with my next computer...it has the funnest keys!!! ¿, ñ, ú, ó, í, é, á,¡, 75°, ü, ö, ¨(you get the point) ...I am sure there are mas, but I don't know what they are or how to make them...but it has the upside down question mark & the symbol for degrees!! ¿How cool is that? Why don't our keyboards have cool characters?

Ok...we are off to dinner...tomorrow is Isla Mujeras!!

No comments: