Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sleeping With the Enemy

Although I'm sure there are numerous things wrong with me, there is one issue I'm not willing to admit is an "issue". I have a slight case of OCD...I like things a certain way. I enjoy an orderly house, cupboards, closets, etc. Some of the motto's I live by include: everything needs a place, clean up what you make dirty, treat things better than you would treat your own (even if they are your own).

I'm one of those people that if I use glue and some drips down the side, I wipe off the drip before I put it back in the basket (where the glue is kept...in the closet under the stairs). I keep the linen closet neat and the towels in order according to where they are used or what type of towel it is; same with the blankets.

For those who don't know me as well as only a select few do, another confession I have is my love of clothes, shoes and handbags. I don't make millions, but I do enjoy the finer things in life. I'm not in debt (other than the wedding...oh yeah, and the Lake House), and I find joy in not only shopping for myself, but actually would rather shop for others. I've been called "High Maintenance", but I disagree. I have been maintaining myself...therefore, it can't be considered being "maintained"- high or low. Right?

I digress.

Since I have been living with a boy (he's quite a man, but "boy" sounds better here), there is one thing I am doing my best to live with...well, a couple of things. Because I like things done in a timely manner, and I like things done a certain way...I enjoy doing many things myself, without help. I know, know...I should learn to enjoy the help when it's offered, but I gotta be honest- I just want it done...and done the right way and in a timely manner.

This week, like many others, was busy...work, school, OT, etc...I often wonder how there is time to add anything into an already too busy schedule. I woke up later than I planned this morning and rushed to get ready, out the door, errands run, and to a family party in too short of time.

When I returned home just in time to be really late to the party (luckily Mike was no where near ready either), I noticed Mike started the laundry. It made me both smile and it made my stomach turn. I don't really like anyone washing my clothes...too many things can go wrong. I definitely appreciated the help...just not the best at accepting it.

After the party, Mike ran to Blockbuster, so I decided to quickly work on the laundry. I laughed when I found this:



Well...it was laugh or cry. I couldn't in my right mind put this way (under the sink/in the cupboard in the downstairs bathroom where it belongs) this way.


Before Mike moved in, I cleaned out the closet in the master bedroom. I won't lie and say I got rid of 1/2 my clothes...I just played musical closets, shuffled some things around a bit and now I keep my things in three (3) closets.


I am pretty OCD about my closet...maybe more than the other organization I crave. My clothing is organized by color...long sleeve to tank tops...ALL shirts must be hanging the same direction and I couldn't hang something up inside out for money. I use white plastic hangers, although I dream of using wood hangers someday. I won't...okay can't...use any other color hanger. (I DO use some of my mom's crocheted hangers and some polka-dots padded hangers for items that need it.)



Last weekend, I was pulling laundry out of the dryer...to hang or fold. (I ALWAYS take laundry out of the dryer immediately...or it gets re-dried...otherwise there are too many wrinkles.) Anywho, Mike came over to help me...he was hanging his own shirts....after I couldn't take it any longer...I finally BEGGED him to turn his shirts the right way (not inside-out & to hang them the same direction). He just laughed...and wouldn't change them. He laughed more and said how funny he thought I was. I wasn't being funny.



After that, I took some pictures of our closet...so you can see what I see every day...EVERY DAY!! I have offered to organize his side of the closet, but he has said no. I offered to organize his dresser drawers, but he says no. I am nearing the end of my willingness to look at an unorganized mess every time I walk into the closet. I am thinking it's time to do some organizing...(yay!!)

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Next time you walk into the closet, just remember to breathe. In. And out.

Isn't there a show on tv about another cop with OCD? ;)

E said...

Heh, MONK! :)

Man, all I can say about that is that Mike does more/better than members of MY household.

I totally understand some of that. There are just certain things I don't want people doing for me.

Mine is more stuff like grocery shopping. I hate doing it, but I'd still rather do it myself. People have offered to do it when I was out of commission, but I dunno, I just don't feel comfortable letting someone else do it for me. The closest I get to doing that is ordering my groceries from Safeway online, to be delivered. (Which I had done yesterday, because I am still way too damn tired to go out and physically do the grocery shopping.)
I try to unclench a little now and then, and I let Andres run out for a few items, but I don't think he's ever done ANY of the major shopping in all the years we've been together.

I actually sort of wish I had a little more of the OCD metality about cleaning. Just a little bit. LOL

Jimmy, Diane and Bentley said...

Bahhh, story of my life!! I'm the same way about everything needing a place, being folded perfectly, and closets organized exactly perfectly... And then comes the messy husband who leaves everything on the floor and doesn't like me to touch it... Ugh! Jimmy won't even let me pair his socks, and he prefers them to be inside out- what??

Carol said...

so are you telling me that if i come over next time and throw a red shirt in the middle of your black shirts...it wont freak you out like it used to?!

rymiembeal said...

You are awesome! I love your closets.. maybve you can come do mine after we move!!! I promise to keep them nice!!

Michelle