Sunday, August 12, 2007

963

963 is the police code for fatal collision.

On Saturday, I woke up to a text message (& several missed calls) that included that code. I read the message over and over..."John Stuart out of 700 just passed away after a 963 this morning. Please keep him in your thoughts & prayers."

I began to sob & then I began to scream....Mike & I began to make phone calls, only to learn the message was true. Rumor has it that he fell asleep or lost control of his vehicle as he was driving home on SR347. A few miles outside of the town of Maricopa, he crossed the median, landed on a Jeep Cherokee, causing both vehicles to roll. The driver of the Jeep was pronounced dead on the scene, but Jonathan was air lifted to County Hospital. He was later pronounced dead after they were unable to stop the internal bleeding.

Jonathan Stuart is my friend...I JUST saw him on Thursday night...he made my back-up. He & his new bride were in Cancun on their honeymoon the same time that Mike & I were there in May. We had planned to get together, but couldn't figure out how to call each other through a Mexican operator. Plus, it was their honeymoon...I'm sure they were...um...busy! :)

He always smiled at me...we've passed on the freeway more than a few times as we made the long drive home east bound on I-10. He was one of the first people that I would call my friend when I started in 700. He called me "lovely eyes" after a juvenile that Matt Nelson arrested called me that. That nick name never went away...it was endearing & he was the only one that it stuck with. He brought me canoli's from Momma Mia's often...he knew how much I loved them.

He was a good man that loved his wife, his family & this job. He wore that blue uniform more hours than anyone I know. He was trying to put his wife through nursing school; it was so important to him that she finish.

OMG I am filled with a tremendous amount of grief and disbelief. None of this makes any sense & I am so very sad for is young wife. I wish I would have had the chance to tell Jonathan how much his smile & his friendship meant to me. I hope that he knew how much we all love him & how much he will be missed.

1 comment:

Carol said...

wow - that is very sad. i heard about it on the news last nigh. sorry for your loss, his wife's loss, his family and friends and 700 - or whatever you call his co-workers.