Monday, August 13, 2007

Who doesn't like good Oral...Hygiene??

When we were little we were forced to visit the dentist EVERY six (6) months...Dr. Bob would use that gritty, crappy "toothpaste," take some x-rays & we'd get to pick some crap candy out of the plastic wheelbarrow...

(On a side note: Candy that does NOT have sugar...is NOT candy!! We need a different name for hard, blah tasting crap that people are passing off as candy)

When I was 19, I had to have my impacted wisdom teeth taken out...surgically removed...forced from my jaw...I had never known such pain!! I was sick for months and months with "dry socket" that had to be packed with gauze soaked in Satan's own clove juice. Not only was I in agony, but I stunk like cloves!! Kyle wouldn't come near me with a 10 foot pole...Bill made ribs for dinner one night during this ongoing saga & I had to just lick them!! When I went back to the oral surgeon about 6 months after everything was over, the smell of the office made me vomit.

I developed a slight fear of the dentist & try to avoid that place as much as possible. Plus, I am an avid flosser, I use two (2) different kinds of Listerine twice a day (pre-rinse & the post rinse), & I have my handy-dandy electric toothbrush, of course!!

It's been a while since I forced myself into the dental chair, so this morning I was expecting to be tortured after the x-rays were taken. I think I was even having phantom pain...

But the Dentist came in...poked around...used something that reminded me of a drill (the sound anyway) and made several comments about how great my teeth are!! "You have the cleanest teeth!" "Your gums look fantastic!" "There are NO problems in here!" "There is no tartar what-so-ever...You have THE cleanest teeth!!"

I was in & out in a matter of minutes...no pain...no cavities & that gritty toothpaste wasn't quite as gritty as it used to be. I also noticed that there was no wheelbarrow with crap "candy" in it at the door & they weren't giving out free toothbrush either. Huh, guess insurance doesn't cover a $2 toothbrush you don't want anyway or pretend candy nobody wanted to begin with.

No comments: