We enjoyed ourselves at the memorial, and Mike really enjoyed learning about the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Every time I am able to participate in something like this, I feel such a strong sense of patriotism. I feel so proud to be an American and I am overwhelmed with a sense of pride and devotion. Over 1100 men were killed on the USS Arizona alone on December 7, 1941. What an incredible sacrifice for all of us...it is very humbling.
One of my favorite parts of the Sicily-Rome Cemetery was the white wooden crosses or Star of David that marked each grave. I smiled when I saw the Star of David marking graves of the Americans that died protecting one of our many freedoms from a man trying to take it away from the rest of the world.
When you visit the USS Arizona Memorial, it is broken onto to two portions; a video presentation and then taking a short boat ride to the monument/memorial. The volunteer that ran our video presentation was a witness to what happened the morning of December 7th, 1941. He lived near Wheeler Field...which was one of the bombing sites. He told us a friend of his died from stray machine gun fire from one of the Japanese bombers. He also told us that a Japanese plane went down near his home and that pilot, who was visibly injured, was still trying to aim his weapons at the people near by. Oh man did I have more questions for this guy!! But there was no time for questions...oh well.
When we left Pearl Harbor, we drove to Punchbowl...the National Cemetery of the Pacific. What an awesome resting place. It was named "Punchbowl" because the cemetery is on top of an extinct volcano, in a large crater...Puowaina Crater. The cemetery is at capacity, and there are no white crosses marking the graves...only flat headstones are allowed. After reading about this cemetery, I believe my Grandpa, "Tuffy" Rodgers, could have been laid to rest here, had his family not asked for his remains to be brought back to Blackfoot, Idaho.
The picture below is of a part of the Honolulu Memorial. This memorial was erected to honor the sacrifices and achievements of American Armed Forces in the Pacific during World War II, the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam Conflict. The impressive memorial sits high on the wall of Puowaina Crater overloking the graves area of the cemetery.
The memorial consists of a chapel, two map galleries, a monumental staircase leading from the crater floor to the court of honor, ten Courts of the Missing and a Dedicatory Stone centered at the base of the stairway. In the ten courts of the Missing, which flank the staircase, are recorded the names of 18, 094 World War II heroes MIA or lost or buried at sea in the Pacific, 8,195 in the Korean conflict and 2,489 in the Vietnam Conflict; a total of 28,78.
On the front of the tower which houses the chapel is a 30-foot female figure known as "Columbia", standing on the symbolized prow of a US Navy carrier with a laurel branch in her left hand. Engraved below the figure is the poignant sympathy expressed by President Abraham Lincoln to Mrs. Bixby, mother of five sons who died in battle.
2 comments:
Wasn't the view spectaclar and the drive up. Everything is so close on the island. Being on Kauai will give you an idea of what it must have been like on some of the islands in the Pacific during WWII, green and tropical. Nana
Reading this reminded me of the time I walked through the Vietnam Memorial in DC. Late night, cold, very emotional.
I did not get a chance to visit the PH Memorial on my last trip to Hawaii. I will next time.
Post a Comment