Friday, November 14, 2008

Honeymoon – Day 5 – Bonefishing…or not so much

I thought we would be partaking in peacock bass fishing, but Mike found a place on Oahu to fish for bonefish. I’m not even sure what a bonefish looks like, so maybe I’ll find a picture to post.

The guide that Mike found, Oliver or Ollie, was very nice and took a lot of time working with Mike to teach him how to cast a fly rod to specifically catch a bonefish. I tagged along too, but wasn’t nearly as excited by the whole event, but I know this: I love Mike…Mike loves to fish…we’re gonna be fishing. I always enjoy myself, but it's most enjoyable knowing Mike is HAPPY.

We’ve been a lot of places together already in the 3 years we’ve hanging out…we’ve fished on nearly every trip. For the most part, I enjoy myself…but I know fishing for Mike is like shopping for me. Plus, we have an understanding that I can fish for as long or as little as I want and then I can lay on the beach, the boat, or whatever and read...or whatever.




Anyhoo…After a lot of hours, I was bored of casting and wading in the knee to thigh high water, and fighting the wind and the current…so I waded back to shore, got my book and really began to enjoy our fishing trip.

Mike and Ollie fished for hours and hours, but no bonefish were caught. I guess they are easily “spooked” and Mike’s line kept “slapping” the water…”spooking” the bonefish. While they spooked the fish, I enjoyed my secluded paradise. It was a perfect day, one that can only truly be enjoyed on the beach with those smells and those sounds.


I think I would have chosen the peacock bass fishing experience myself, but there’s always tomorrow…and our next trip to Hawaii.

No comments: