As our taxi was pulling up to la plaza, he said something I didn't understand until he got to the word "siesta." Turns out...99% of the stores are closed on Sundays...unless of course there is a cruise ship (or 7) in port. There were no ships today. We obviously weren't thrilled, but made the best of it. We managed to find a few t-shirt shops, el bano, the Margaritaville, etc.
When we got back to the hotel, I laid in our pool and read from one of two books I found in town at a local Internet cafe/book exchange. I didn't have a book with me to exchange, but they sold me two used books for $6...I was happy!! They had a ton of books...but I selected a John Grisham book, The Broker, and a Patricia Cornwell book, The Body Farm.
I started with the John Grisham book and got to relax for several hours while Mike played more volleyball down at the main pool. It was nice and I got some color for a change. I am a little pink, but I think that's mostly from our downtown adventure. We were too stupid to remember sunscreen for the big shopping trip :)
After dinner we walked around the hotel and then sat on the beach for about an hour. It was nice...the weather is beautiful and the sound of the sea is so peaceful. Right now we are downloading a movie from iTunes so we can watch it on the laptop!! I tried to hook Mike's PSP to the TV, but need an S-Video cable to make it work. Damn.
Oh well...tomorrow is jeep tour day!! That should be a fun adventure!!
p.s. Victor, our taxi driver on the way back to the hotel...said that during high season it is normal to have 7 ships in port each day!! I can't imagine that many stupid people wandering around spending money on crap!! I've been in St. Thomas when there are 3-4 ships in port...there isn't even enough room to walk in the streets. As much as I love to cruise (and I do LOVE to cruise), it seems a bit ridiculous....thousands of people per ship...all getting off at ONE small island/city to spend money, buy jewelry (in St. Thomas anyway), etc....then they ALL get back on the ship and head for the next port...why don't the cruise people get smart and make the ports staggered from one another??
1 comment:
Derek.I bet mike would love to catch that shark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment